Monday, July 09, 2007

When we left our heroes....

It was only Thursday. Ha! Well, On Thursday we went to visit Grandma B. That was fun. I drove there and back again, which gives me a whole new awe for the phrase "there and back again". Holiday traffic was really terrible and by the time I got into familiar waters on the way home my fingers were numb from griping the steering wheel.

Oh, we also found out why traffic was so awful on Wed. A car flipped on the highway toward the north end of town which of course is the direction everyone was trying to escape to. Thus, the closed on ramps and hundreds of cars milling about with no where to go for a few hours. Next year we may just catch some fireworks on Youtube. ;)

Which brings us to Friday. Man had a class BBQ for most of the day, starting at 10am. I got there a bit late since I was making sure we had everything we needed for such a long haul at the beach and then Man called to ask if I could bring all (8!!) of our folding chairs. So, out goes the extra seat in the van and I furiously clean chairs to get all of the jello off. By the time I got there I was already wondering if it was worth the effort. Man greets me with the information that we probably only needed 4 after all. After I cast a Baleful Look upon him, he meekly got Pebbles strapped onto him in the baby carrier and carried all four chairs. I was there long enough to get the kids fed before I had to run home because I forgot immunization records for the kids and had to run them over to a dr's appt to get shots. I was just walking into the office for our 1:30 appt when Man called me up to let me know that a mandatory meeting had been called for 3 and could I please try to get back to the beach by 2:30 so I could pick up Pebbles? Um, not likely. Two kids were getting new patient appts, updated shots, and I had to go downstairs to get my prenatal bloodwork battery. No problem, he says. He'll ask someone to watch her and he'll try to hurry.

Shots were going well until Tag actually got one. He cried but did a pretty good job. I should have made Princess go first. She saw him crying and got hysterical. I had to take Tag out to the waiting room and left him with a book while I went back to wrestle with PB. It took three of us to hold her down and a total of 40 mins for her to get her shots and calm down afterward. By the time I got out to the waiting room a whole bunch of nice strangers were giving Tag stickers, coloring pages, bandages, and generally fawning over him. Apparently he started to cry after I left him. After thank yous and I'm sorrys, I hustled them out of there, got my work done really quickly, got lost on the way back to the beach (thank you, downtown) and got there in time for Man to have been waiting for about an hour. Two sergeants from his class watched Pebbles and all three of these men didn't think to keep her in the shade that whole time so she has several 2nd degree burns on her face from being out in the sun for 4 hours. ARGH! Thank you, sergeants, though, for preventing Man from getting an Article 15.

Anyway, we got home and crashed. Movies, leftovers for dinner, much sleep.

Saturday, I was running late so Man took Tag to a birthday party at a place in town that has basically a bunch of bouncy castles. Tag decided to jump off of a 5 foot wall and face planted AGAIN with the SAME THREE TEETH and ended up a bloody mess again. Fortunately, the birthday boy's dad is an eye dr and had dr friends over with their kids for the party, and one of them happened to be the ENT that Man was working with a while ago. He took a look at Tag's mouth and said that he likely had a minor fracture in his upper jaw but that really a dentist wouldn't be able to do a whole lot with it since it's all baby teeth. Good to know. I'll still see if I can take them up on post though, just for a check up, you know.

While Man was gone I cleaned the whole house which had suffered from our comings and goings. We chilled the rest of the day.

Sunday, church and then a BBQ with friends! Thanks, M, for hosting. The food was good and plentiful, and it was nice to relax with some great friends. Friend K even brought me a birthday gift! A cookbook!! Who knows me? lol It's a great one with some classics revisited.

I watched Doom last night. Dude, not a whole lot of story line and tons of gore, but it's pretty cool if you've ever enjoyed a first person shooter video game or ever dreamed of being a Marine. Neither of which I've ever really done, but it was kinda geeky cool anyway.

In good news, Pebbles had another sore on her rear that looked very much MRSAish but after several days of close care it's almost gone with no antibiotics. I was very happy about that.

Which of course brings us to today. LOL I have a short list of errands to run, a walk to go on with friends, and my birthday dinner to prepare. I'm thinking a Costco tray of California rolls, a fruit salad, and mashed potatoes with corn. Yum! Time to go clean the house again before our walk.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday, friend! Maybe I'll make a cake for you, send you a pic, and eat it here in celebration! ;)

Does Tag have a helmet? Doesn't he know no more drama for mama?!! Poor kid!

Andrea Hardee said...

Ha! I'd love to see a pic of your fabulous cake. I'll lick my screen in your honor.

Yes, that stinker has a helmet, but he doesn't wear it all the time. Besides, we'd have to get him one with a face cage. Maybe we should just make him wear a tooth guard and make him breathe through his nose. Poor guy and his allergies though, that's a messy proposition. lol

jen said...

holy cow. you are one busy mama! I got tired just reading the post about your week! I don't know how you do it.

Andrea Hardee said...

Just one day at a time. I've also made sort of a ritual of spending at least an hour of free time at night after the kids are abed. That's why I've been posting about so many movies lately. lol A friend has got an absolutely enormous movie collection and every other time she coms over she brings a stack. We get to see some interesting stuff, that way. Our latest is Kung Fu Hustle which I *highly* recommend. Hilarious.