Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Eggses, precious

We had some boiled eggs with our sandwiches for lunch and the kids were wondering what the yellow part was. I told them that it was what a baby chick eats until it's born. Man said that there were people in his classroom who were vehement that the yolk actually becomes the chick. I told him they were wrong. He said that one of them grew up on a farm and so therefore knows better. Ha!! I grew up in Kansas but that doesn't mean I know anything about the fine technicalities of tractor maintenance. Understanding chick development has as much to do with gathering eggs as genetic science has to do with changing diapers. I told him that even human eggs have yolks which he didn't think was true at all. After some searching through the internet, I found this great website that goes through human egg/embryo/fetal development step by step. It's just staggering how much development happens in that first trimester. And yes, there is a yolk sac.

Oh, and incidentally, the yolk is NOT a baby chick. The baby chick is nourished by the yolk but develops from within it. See here.

Please, fight ignorance. I don't like being ignorant, though I'm sure I am in some ways. Education is a happy thing.

No comments: