Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What to call unborn babies

My Dad's tradition, as you all know now: Frodo. It saves us from creating a gender in our minds, and from taking an early-given name too seriously. And it sounds funny.

One I heard the other day: They gave each of their kids sort of pet names like frog, or dragonfly, and I forget the last one. Then when they were born, their accessories (towels, hats, etc) carried the theme of their "original" name.

I've considered calling this one Thing 4. Has everyone seen the new Cat in the Hat with Mike Meyers? If not, rent it and watch the scene where he introduces Thing 1 and Thing 2. As a result, I've thought about calling Princess Thing 1, Tag Thing A, Pebbles Thing Alpha, and this last one can just be Thing Uno.

I've heard of calling the unborn one simply Baby. But I've got this weird obsession with naming things. I once had a stuffed monkey whose name was Percival Who Looks Like Billy Corgan Who Once Was Julius. And my cat was Pink Christopher Lloyd Alexander Hamilton Duffy Yoda Oh My! III. I'd say my kids made off quite well in their real names, considering the alternatives.

Another friend calls them by what sort of fruit they approxamate in size. Peanut to begin with, then we eventually work through citrus fruits and melons of various sizes. We culminate with Watermelon until the wee thing is actually born, at which time they revert to being a Peanut.

What have you heard of people calling unborn children?

1 comment:

jen said...

My brother in law & sister in law refer to their unborn kid as "the boy" or "the girl" depending on gender, obviously. And it's funny but they got so used to referring to their baby like that, once it was born, they still call my nephew Liam "the boy" and my niece Sutton "the girl". Other than that, I haven't heard anyone refer to their baby with a nickname but some of the ones you posted are cute.