Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What to do with the first zucchini of the season?

Grill it, of course!!



Folks, can I tell you how great this tasted? Diagonal sliced zucchini tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a bit of fresh ground black pepper and seasalt, throw it on the grill, baste with the marinade. It's a good thing Man doesn't like summer squash. My plants aren't bearing in earnest yet and I'm impatient. The tomatoes just keep getting bigger and stay green, the peas have modest output but I guess the kids, Pebbles especially, love going out there and snacking on any that are ripe. That right there is worth the effort of growing and staking them.

Gardening things I've learned later in the season: always stake the peas early and don't underestimate how tall they like to get. Also, learn how to pinch herbs back before seeds are an issue. Can pea plants be pinched back? How do you prevent blossom end rot on squash? Some of my tomato plants have rot on the leaves and braches. -sigh- So much to learn.

No comments: