Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Organizing revisited

Oy! It's either feast or famine with this blogging, isn't it?

Ok, so my friend mentioned something that I think is absolutely inspired that has never occurred to me. Zone cooking, is what she called it. A place in the kitchen where the cupboards and drawers contain things to assist with prep, another with food stowing supplies (paper products and tupperware), another with serving supplies (I'm guessing plates, bowls, silverware, etc)

The only thing is, I use a lot of the serving stuff with the prep stuff (forks, some plates, etc), so they'd have to be right next to each other.

Hm...

Do you have any storage secrets you havn't told me yet? Natural ways of organizing your home that make total and complete sense to you but I've never even imagined?

3 comments:

Kelly said...

The zones I use are:
consumables (food)
non-consumables (dishes)
food prep
cooking
cleaning

Beyond that, I also have an unloading/staging zone--you know...where the food goes prior to the fridge as it comes in the house and where it goes prior to serving...

The killer for me is small appliances. Where do you stick them that's out of the way but easily accessible?

jen said...

I stick my small appliances in the cupboards above the stove and fridge. Easily accessible for us since we're both tall and you don't have to get out a stool or anything.

A good organization tip I used in my last house (where we had ZERO closet space) was to purchase those over the door plastic shoe holders and then I would store extras (toothpaste, shampoo, soap, + any other cosmetic/bathroom stuff) in each pocket. It was so efficient that I was really sad to give it up when we moved to the new house.

My kitchen is a mess. I never cook so everything is scattered.

Anonymous said...

I love organizing ideas but I have to agree with you. . .I usually take someone else's idea and run with it. Most people do and that is what keeps Martha Stewart in business.

Here is a semi-origional idea (non-Martha) for organizing craft-stuff: go to the nearest pizza shop and ask them for some new pizza boxes. They have all kinds of shapes and sizes that are great to use for varying projects but don't be surprised if you have to pay a small fee. It's still cheaper than buying storage boxes from any other store. Use these boxes to keep your scrapbooking supplies, quilt blocks, fabric, paining supplies or other "stuff" nice. You can decorate the boxes any way you want and they stack neatly on a shelf or on the floor. Plus when they wear out you don't have to spend an arm or a leg to replace them.

M.