Saturday, July 14, 2007

Recent music

It's kind of fun to go through the itunes archives, remembering some of the songs I fell in love with while listening to a radio station that played older stuff alongside the newer.

One of my favorite rediscoveries is The Moody Blues. I remembered Wildest Dreams and then started to look through some of their other work: Nights in White Satin, Gypsy, Legend of a Mind, etc. I think I'm in love. Why don't men sing like this any more? Justin Timberlake and like ilk, you are but a shadow of the great ones.

As I start to dig into non-mainstream music, it's fun to discover what it is about some songs that really influences feeling and thought. It seems that all of my maternal uncles are into all kinds of interesting music and now I understand where that passion comes from. Is it silly that I'm finally really appreciating stuff that isn't Top 40? Oh, well. At least it happened eventually.

No comments: