Saturday, July 14, 2007

Is it in code?

When I was little my parents used to spell things so I wouldn't know what they were talking about. As I grew they'd throw in an "xyz" at the end just to throw off my budding spelling skills and my suspicions.

But Man and I are too arrogantly brainy for that sort of thing. Besides that, we don't spell too good. This morning's conversation with all three kids in the room: (I am A)

Princess has been requesting to go to a swimming pool for two weeks. We even went to get her a swimming suit that fits and she's been asking about it every day.

A: So, will you be engaging in aquatic recreation today?

M: Perhaps. Let's see how certain weather elements play out. (it was raining at the time)

A: If enjoyment of aforementioned recreation is imminent, will you be taking a brace or a single?

D: A brace, of course.

A: Good, because I'm guessing that the second party of the brace would have a meltdown.

M: Yes, undoubtedly there would be repercussions.



Gosh, we think we're so smart. Here's what I recall from one of these incidences a few weeks ago:

M: When we go to a certain club warehouse establishment, should we get a victual originating from Sicily?

A: The sort that includes all four food groups? Let's see... veggies, grains, dairy... [pause]

M: Yes, since it itself comprises the fourth food group.

PB: What are you guys talking about??

A: We're talking in code. We're using really big words and meanings that you don't understand yet so we can talk in front of you.

M: Don't tell her that!!

A: What? What greater motivation can a child have to learn all of this stuff so quickly? TELL her it's a secret and she'll never put in a greater effort to understand so quickly.

M: [frowns]

A: Trust me. [grins]

1 comment:

Kelly said...

LOL. Yup, we do that too. We used to speak in Spanish to each other until the kids learned enough vocab that they thwarted our efforts to speak in code.