Sunday, May 27, 2007

School pictures -- time for a tan!

Anyone seen this yet?

Link to Slate article.

I like the description: superlatively vapid. That's like "ponderously empty".

So who here is shocked that someone in Hollywood would get their elementary-aged child a $1,300 tan for her school pictures? I was. I was also shocked when Mark Anthony bought J-Lo those gold flipflops for $24,000, shocked that celebs pay at least $200 on a single silk baby blanket for newborns (I can't even tell you how often my receiving blankets go through the wash before a baby is 6 months old)

I just have to laugh. Even though I "know" I'd spend it differently, I know for sure that everyone I know has their own ideas of what's important to them. Some people skimp on the food budget and have a closet full of shoes or clothes; some people have one or two pairs of shoes and travel at every opportunity; others have got mind-blowing entertainment systems and a car that runs half the time.

What do you skimp or splurge on? My splurge was a high-efficiency clothes washer. What would I do without it? Man's splurge was a Wii and accessories. It's funny how I rarely spend money of myself but my junk always costs so much more. I would argue that a clothes washer or a van aren't my own personal goodies, but they sure make my life easier.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hmmm...we're definitely not clothes or shoes people here. When it comes to big ticket items, we tend to try to find that intersection of price & quality--the best quality at a reasonable price....if the quality helps with longevity.

Dh's splurge is clearly roses. For a while I spent my fun money on scrapbooking or quilting, but not anymore....I would say that I've started an IKEA decorating fund. ;)