Monday, May 28, 2007

Gardening

Now that I can do pics again, here's a whole slew.

1. My little wild rose is finally producing some really lovely blossoms. I took out the big weed since it wasn't doing anything interesting. The anal-retentive in me is a bit bothered by this messy corner of dirt, but the other half of me absolutely loves that chaotic splash of nasturshum and rose colors, especially since they're right next to some relatively orderly-looking alyssum.



2. My cilantro is looking decidedly happy. I was worried about it at first since about a week after I planted it all of the original leaves died off. Over the next week or two it started to put out a lot more bushy, vibrant leaves which has me totally thrilled. It's about three times as big as it started out. Next time I do herbs I'm definitely going to start them all in pots indoors and move them outside when they look happy, especially if I grow them from seed.



3. My tomatoes and dill. I need to get some stakes and string (or would cheap yarn work as well?) 'cause these bad boys are getting tall enough to need help. And the dill that looks like little tufts of grass between the middle and right plants is the only herb that I successfully grew from seed outside. I don't take pride in that, though, since it's technically a "weed", but I'm very excited. Fresh herbs are among my favorite treats in life. I also have a little tiny pot of chives in my kitchen that's doing pretty well.



4. My lovely assistant and gardener in training. This little one has no qualms about getting down and dirty with her gardening. I'm thinking that next year, depending on where we are, I'll let Princess have her own spot of ground since she's so interested in helping with everything this year. It'll be interesting to see what she wants to grow.



5. My peas and squash finally came up. The peas, once they started showing, are really growing very quickly. I need to stake and string them as well. I have four mounds of squash but am thinking of taking it down to the two healthiest looking mounds since we all know how much squash can come off of one plant. My friend M says she knew someone who would always say that when you're parked at an LDS church in the summer or fall, never leave your doors unlocked b/c they'll put heaps of squash into any car they find unlocked. I've never had that experience, but when living at my Mother In Law's house I knew that I had a hard time using/giving it all away that one summer. I froze a lot of zucchini puree.


Next year I also want to add peppers, onions, and garlic in the back of the house where we get a ton of sun, or maybe put them where the nasturshum has taken over. I really hope I can plant at our next home as well.

No comments: