Tuesday, May 08, 2007

More phone

So I was on the phone with yet another bodiless insurance voice yesterday to get an address. His was the sort of male tenor that is really hard to hear over the phone so I had him spell the city.

"Foxtrot, Romeo, Echo..." Then he paused. "D, E, R..."

"Wait, I didn't quite catch that. You mean Delta, Echo, Romeo?"

"Yep. India, Charlie, Kilo, Sierra, Bravo, Uniform, Romeo, Golf."

Ah, yes, there are diverse times and places when that silly military alphabet comes in handy. My brother says I'm just showing off when I spell like that. I have a sort of bizarre fascination with it. I can never remember V or W though. I talked to Man about giving our kids nicknames since they don't have any. We could just call them by their first initial using the military alphabet. He didn't like that idea. I thought it was hilarious.

That would make my brother Romeo. :D What would Freud think?

1 comment:

jen said...

I didn't know that the military actually spelled things out fast using that alphabet! That's awesome! Can you send/post the military alphabet--I'm going to start throwing it into my everyday conversation. And I think it's kind of cute to call your kids those nicknames.