Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Left over skin flint

There are times when I throw the leftovers out, even if they are perfectly good and might be incorporated into something else later on, like the small pile of roasted onions and peppers from last night's fajitas, the 1/4 of dried-up cheese from the burritos, or the one or two spoonfuls of steamed corn. Sometimes, though, if I'm already putting the leftovers away, I'll look to see if the kids ate their food and, if it's completely untouched, I'll add that to the tupperware bowl. Does that make me gross or a hypocrite? Tonight I put spaghetti and sauce on Tag's plate, cut it up for him, and he didn't even breathe on it. So I scooped it in with the rest from the pots and am looking forward to one of my fav lunches tomorrow.

I don't know why, but I have a hard time using some leftovers before they start to look really gross. Those few peppers and onions which would have been delicious in a quesadilla, the dried up cheese that could have gone into some beans and rice, etc. Perhaps that can be this month's goal: When cleaning up from dinner, jot down an idea or two to salvage the leftovers and see if my meals will go further. Very rarely do I have any meat go to waste, though.

1 comment:

jen said...

you're way better than me. If I don't have a full serving size leftover, I chuck it in the trash. I'm sure I could probably save some money by being more creative with my leftovers.