Saturday, May 19, 2007

New eyes (again)

It was really nice yesterday to sort of see my home again through the eyes of my uncles. Those guys are so great. The location and size of our home and the growth we've experienced are all amazing blessings. It was nice to once again see clearly and be thankful for what I have. And so fun to finally show off!! The ocean view!! The park right out our back door!!

After all of those AFTB classes and being able to enjoy people I love yesterday, for the first time in a while I was able to go to sleep last night after deciding to have a peaceful heart. When they rolled into town I was still in such a whirl from the day's activities that I had a hard time just sitting and enjoying at first. I found myself wanting the old comforting elements that I associate with that side of the family: a cross word puzzle, a clean home, peach cake, a home cooked meal. I flaked out and didn't cook (sorry, guys!) for a number of reasons, but Uncle J provided a wonderful meal of Round Table pizza (thanks, Uncle J! the leftovers were delightful as well), I didn't have the cross word puzzle, and even if I couldn't always think of ways to keep the talk comfortable and flowing the kids sure managed to fill in any and all gaps. Once again I've learned more about what home really is. I havn't given myself a whole lot of time to miss my family that lives far from me now, but I found yesterday that I didn't have to. That love and care is so important to me and my uncles brought it with them in bushels... even if my house isn't my granparents' house. :) I'm feeling happier with what I have to offer, regardless of how it compares, simply because it's mine.

Ah, this miraculous sense of self is finally starting to make a little more sense to me now. I'm starting to find more of a direction for my precious personal resources and a happier center of identity. Silly how joining the military has done so much for us. I never imagined that a step that looked so ridiculously risky could offer so much return.

Thanks for visiting guys. Come on over any time!

No comments: