Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Thai Coconut

My friend and I were walking around the grocery store last night when I saw a Thai Coconut. She and I had the same question: what's the difference? Well, they look a lot different on the outside. This website has a picture of the coconut in question, as well as pictures of the inside. Here's a pic of my attempt:



Notice the bandaides from my coconut battle wound. I didn't have a cleaver or a machete so I settled for a 12" chef's knife and a very sharp bread knife to saw a starter line. The wound is from the bread knife. Princess has a hard time with blood and ran from the room when I showed her.

Anyway, I was surprised at what I found inside. There was a ton of water with a very mild, kind of earthier flavor than the other coconuts I've tried. The flesh is so soft that I could scoop it out with my fingers. Apparently this means that my Thai coconut was quite young. The flesh has an texture very much like crab meat but more fibrous so even though it's slimy and very flexible, it holds together really well. It might be interesting to use mini cookie cutters on it for decorations on a piƱa colada cake. It certainly wouldn't shred very well at this texture.

Princess has declared that it tastes gross. Honestly, there isn't a whole lot of taste to the flesh. Even the water had a stronger flavor to it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the flesh, really, since I don't have a blender. Maybe this is a good reason to buy one.

A "Man, I'm going to run and buy a blender."

M "What for?"

A "So this coconut won't go to waste."

M "Wait, wait. You want to go spend $30-40 on a blender so your $1 coconut won't go to waste?"

A "... sure."

M "..."

A "Oh, come on, it's better than some of the reasons I've made up over the years to get a kitchen gadget. Give me some credit for extraordinary effort."

M "..."

A "Would you like me to get you some ice cream while I'm out?"

Anyway, the above was merely speculative fabrication. In reality I'm sure he'll just say "sure, have fun, make sure you get a nice sturdy one that'll last." It's that German mentality he picked up with the language.

[laughing] [pause] [sigh]

So, coconut. Yeah, a smoothie sounds good.

4 comments:

jen said...

Could you make me an almond joy and mail it to Charlotte? I love coconut, but wouldn't know what to do with a whole one. How do you sweeten it?

jen said...

Oh, and my blender is one that my husband bought for $25 when he first got out of jail in 2001. It has survived 9 moves, hundreds of runs through the dishwasher, the handle breaking off, and my 16 yr old sister in law trying to blend a smoothie while leaving a spoon in the middle. We constantly think about buying a new one, but figure since the motor still runs, we'll keep using it. I'm sure you could get your use out of a cheap blender. Even if you buy it for coconut. : ) If you buy one, post a picture.

Emily said...

You make me laugh. :) I'm glad we're friends.

Andrea Hardee said...

lol How about I mail you an almond joy smoothie? That'd ship real well.

Right now the coconut is in sort of a scraped mess in a ziploc baggie in the fridge.

Your blender is a hero. :)