Monday, April 23, 2007

It went well after all (part 3 in a series)

Well, one wife whipped up a couple of miracles out of her kitchen and brought not only scalloped potatoes, but potato salad. 4 families showed up and as I looked at my table loaded with food, I couldn't help but pray a little "Lord, if it's Your will, and if it's needed, could you do a bit of that loaves and fishes thing tonight?"

I had left overs of everything and everyone said they were stuffed. The chicken and the brownies were great hits and at all times I could hear talking and laughing. As I made the rounds to visit with everyone, it was fun to see old friends who had been too busy to get together much renew bonds, and new friends who had never met get to know and like each other for the first time. We were missing only 1 adult who was swamped with homework, but other than that everyone who was invited actually showed up. It felt almost as big as a ward activity even though it ended up being 5 families.

Having had people over a few times now, I have a deep appreciation for my grandparents. They always seem so prepared to graciously receive guests into their home. The side dishes are always warm and ready when the main dish hits the table, their home has a glow of cleanliness about it without being intimidating, and they are willing to make conversation with their guests even if they don't know them well or don't have a lot in common. I'm starting to realize how much energy and love it takes to do that sort of thing. They are a great example to me.

No comments: