Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The day the car bought it

Bought the farm, is what that means. It's from Chicken Run. British comedy, don't you know.

Anyway, the car was parked on a street on the base, minding its own business, when a nice young Marine swiped it in a u-turn, tore off half the bumper, and totaled our car. Yep, first it was that hapless deer that ran into the car, shattering the side mirror, then this.

You see, we felt like we really needed to buy this little car that our friends were selling, so we did. It's just a little tiny thing that our family can't fit into but will make a great little commuter until it dies. It was pretty inexpensive and its deficiencies largely cosmetic.

Then. The big car bought it.

How long do insurance claims take to go through? Regardless, we are definitely looking for a new car now. There is a huge list of things on the one we have that need to get fixed -- some minor, some scary. This just sort of seals the deal.

I've never actually gone car shopping before. I kind of tagged along with my parents when they bought a car that they no longer own, and I went with a boy friend once but he didn't end up looking very hard or actually buying anything. I think I've got the general idea of it. We don't really want to buy one in this state, but what can we do? Here we are, and for a while yet.

Part of me wants a van. Part of me doesn't want a van. Part of me really wants one of those Honda vans with sliding doors on each side. Part of me wishes public transportation was more extensive around here and everywhere. The last part just wants some Ben and Jerry's, the movie Clue, and a nice cuddle with my Man after which a van would magically appear in our driveway, already registered and smog tested. Haha!! Such darling fantasies one might have after a long week. I guess that's why some people call Wednesday Hump Day. It's all downhill from here... right? Right??

Send me a hug if you've got one in your pocket. I won't bore you with the details, but this was just one of the larger challenges we've been dealing with. It's mostly just "normal life" stuff, but draining nonetheless.

2 comments:

jen said...

Oh no! So now you're down to no car at all? That's terrible. I've only been car shopping once by myself and the salesman kept trying to sell me cars that he described as "peppy", "spunky" and "cute". I ended up storming off the lot and running to the Ford dealership where I bought myself a used Taurus. With a V6 engine. That's all I wanted--something roomy, reliable, cheap, but with some guts.
Best of luck in the car search. And remember...the first price they throw out that is lower than sticker and they claim is the lowest they can go? Lies. Wait until they really have reached rock-bottom, then leave the dealership, come back the next day and go a little lower. That's what I do with real estate and it works like a gem.
Hope your day gets better. I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

Kelly said...

HUGS! If you want car buying tips, give me a ring. We've done it 3 times in the last 6 years.