Monday, April 23, 2007

AFTB

Armed Forces Team Building

The hook and draw for me to go to AFTB classes was the free child care and lunch. I was so discouraged when I thought I might have to stay home b/c of an immunization record that isn't up to date. The lady who calls with reminders made a phone call that got me in anyway and, boy oh boy, am I glad she did.

The idea behind the classes is to educate military persons and their spouses concerning the vast, lumbering system known as the US Military.

Class list:
Impact of the mission on family life
Military acronyms and terms
Chain of command
Introduction to military customs and Courtesies
Benefits and entitlements

Each of these classes was so very helpful, but I think the most useful was benefits and entitlements. I can't even explain to you how confusing a military pay check is, but this class broke it all down and explained a whole slew of benefits that I either didn't understand or even know about.

Tomorrow's class list:
Intro to community resources
Intro to Family Readiness Groups
Supporting your child's education
Financial readiness
Basic problem solving

Not only is this good military information, it's good life skill and coping information. There was an interesting group there today: lots of wives, but also one grandma who was living close to or with her single mother daughter who was going through training, as well as a civilian employee of the military housing office. Everyone was there just to learn about the system, how it works, and how the military people live and what they experience.

I've already signed up for level two (there are three levels) as well as the instructor training. It's really a great program and I'm obviously still very excited about it.

The main benefit: coherent, useful, necessary information all in manageable classes and handouts. That sort of thing is a shining gem amidst all of the red tape and rule books.

The kids did really well. They were at the child care facility for 6 hours while mama went and played. I was so worried about Pebbles since this is the first time I've left her for an extended period of time but she did perfectly well. She cried just a bit when I first put her in a high chair but quieted down for food and apparently did well the rest of the day. The older two, of course, did wonderfully. The two ladies there were so nice and good with the kids.

And best yet... I feel like I've had a bit of a vacation.

No comments: