Tuesday, April 24, 2007

AFTB graduation

After our 10th and final class for AFTB level 1, we got certificates of completion and got to shake hands with a Sergeant Major (for those who don't want to look it up, that's an E-9, or the highest enlisted rank in the Army. He was super nice and said if we see him around in civilian clothing, we're welcome to call him Brett). We all now have AFTB key fobs and lapel pins, a huge stack of very helpful learning materials, phone numbers and email addresses from many of the ladies in the class, and a far greater sense of purpose and control.

It also helped me understand the wives in the other branches of the military. I've heard of the competitive aspect among the actual service members, and I've heard of a bit of elitism among the spouses, but that hasn't been my experience here. Some people sort of keep to themselves for their own reasons, but everyone in the support networks is kind, engaging, they believe in what they do, and share their knowledge and experience freely to help in any way they can. It's exciting and inspiring to see how so many people can get together and get something done to help their community, both immediate (military neighborhoods) as well as other organizations, causes, and even cities and states. I can see how so many people can really come to love the lifestyle. It's hard, I won't ever deny that, but there is so much more to it that I couldn't even imagine. I'm in a church where the point is to serve and love everyone around me, not just other church members. The military groups are also all about helping their own and reaching out to their communities. The service that's offered doesn't end or even start with war and training for war. It's all about a decent way of life for the whole country, no matter who you are or who I am.

No comments: