Monday, October 08, 2007

More tooth!!

Man is on CQ recovery again today, so he's sleeping. I put Pebbles down for a nap and then ran to Target for a couple of things, and since the Dentist is literally right next door, I took Princess in for a quick check to see if her other tooth needed to come out. Apparently the reason the first tooth came in so far behind is that there simply wasn't any room for it. So, the dentist went ahead and pulled the second one in an attempt to give the second adult tooth some space to come in straight.

I was really worried about this, which is why I ran to do it while I could leave Pebbles at home. I told her that when I was a kid I had a couple of teeth pulled for the same reason, and they had to give me two tiny pokes in my mouth to numb me up so I couldn't feel it at all when it came time to pull.

However, this child also went absolutely bonkers over her immunizations but a couple months ago and I had no idea how she'd take the idea of getting one in the mouth.

Thankfully, this dentist had some sort of topical numbing agent that went on with a qtip and acted very quickly. From the time he put it on to the time Princess came out with a fat wad of gauze in her mouth was less than 5 minutes. No screaming, no hysteria, no thrashing, no getting every available nurse in the building to hold her down, not even a single tear. She even had her tooth in a tiny padded box to take home.

I can't even put into words how relieved I was that this one went so well.

Now she's having a good time trying to talk without opening or otherwise moving her mouth and getting all pouty when I tell her to answer yes or no questions.

It's so ironic that we spend months and months concerned and irritated with those little teeth coming in, only to fuss and bother over them coming out.

::sigh:: Her baby teeth were so nice and evenly spaced. Now we enter awkward, overly large tooth phase.

The dentist showed me her xrays from last time vs. an xray today. I looked at the one of her uppers and exclaimed :

A: Are those her adult teeth?? [each adult tooth looked to be wider than two baby teeth together]
D: Yes. [looks calm and confused over my shock]
A: But they're HUGE!
D: [examines xray for just a second] Each tooth is from here to here, not here to here.
A: Ah, haha, so less than half as wide as they appear to the untrained eye.
D: Mmmyez.
A: I'll be in the waiting room. [ducks and runs]

::sigh::

No comments: