Thursday, October 04, 2007

Allowance

So the kids started getting an allowance last month. Perhaps we should have started them off with cash so they'd have to count coins, etc, but this being the age of technology and allowing for the fact that our bank only has one physical location nationwide, we decided to go ahead and get them prepaid debit cards.

USAA prepaid cards are great. They're totally free with no fees. They also come with a lot of literature that teaches parents how to teach their kids about money. There is a minimum transfer amount, but you can also set up automatic payments so their accounts refresh without me having to worry about it.

We got ours in the mail the other day, I activated them this morning, and Tag carefully considered his first purchase. No, really. He took 24 hours to think it over, was very calm and focused, and he took it well when I explained to him that there was no price tag so we'd have to go find out how much it costs before we just try to buy it. In the past, when relatives send money for gift giving occasions, I will usually either buy the kids something and tell them who it's from, or have them come to the store pick it out and make the purchase myself.

We were about to embark into new areas of autonomy. The air was thick with Tag's resolve to make this step as soon as may be.

We got ready to go to the PX and I don't think he's ever gotten dressed so quickly or willingly in his whole life. He was so intense when we got into the store, knowing the goal was in sight. I wasn't particularly hopeful because what he wanted was a toy fire truck complete with sounds, flashing lights, little fireman, a ladder, and some small accessories. Oh, well, we have to learn about disappointment at some point. May as well start young.

He asked the cashier in his clear, strong voice "can you tell me how much money this costs?"

She scanned it and said "4, 9, 9."

I said, "4, 9, 9? As in, $5?"

Her reply: "Yes, $5."

Tag didn't look at me, so intent was he on this enchanted moment. I helped him swipe HIS card, enter HIS pin, and he got to get HIS receipt and carry HIS bag out to the car.

"Mom, I don't want to open my special toy outside. Can we go in quickly?" He was so calm, like continental drift, but he spoke with all of the inevitability of the same.

We got inside and I headed for the camera. "Mom, can you please bring me the scissors?" Laughing, I complied and then plunked myself down to watch him unwrap his very first, all by himself purchase.

His every cut was meticulous in both planning and execution until Pebbles tried to come over and help him. After that the calm sort of went the way of all the earth and the usual level of noise and attempted interposition of wills resumed, like the deep roll before a thunderclap.
Myyyyyyy, preshhhh-usssssss.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Fun! What is PB saving up for?

My Princess was saving up for an American Girl doll (which she knows about only because of a Christmas catalog sent in SEPTEMBER), but when she heard how much they were she asked me to look on ebay....and then she decided that maybe she wanted a unicorn after all since she could have that MUCH sooner.

Andrea Hardee said...

I just love watching them go through the decision making process. Their little minds are so sharp.

I don't think PB has her heart set on anything at the moment. I'll have to talk it over with her. Tag is much more assertive concerning his wants.