Sunday, October 07, 2007

General Conference

For those who aren't extremely familiar with all of the meetings we have in my church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) we have a twice-yearly meeting called General Conference that is broadcast to every meeting house that equiped to receive satelite. It's also available over the internet both in audio and audio/video.

Since the last conference in April, a leader in our church and a dear, wonderful man has passed away. President James E. Faust was in the First Presidency of the church. His was a voice I've heard at conference my whole life. He has always been so sweetly candid, so kind and insightful and I've enjoyed his talks and the spirit he brings to conference ever since I was old enough to appreciate such things.

Yesterday President Henry B. Eyring was sustained to take the place of the late Pres. Faust. When I heard that I literally jumped up (which is saying a lot for this pregnant lady) and I had such joy in my heart. I love Pres Eyring tremendously as well. His was the first voice my rebellious teenage heart learned to love in conference, and his was the first testimony from the Brethren that allowed me to appreciate the special witness offered by the prophet and apostles.

Here is a link to a video press conference that was held yesterday after the session during which he was sustained, along with Elder Cook. It starts off a little awkward but he had some really touching things to say about his testimony and Pres Faust.

No comments: