Friday, October 26, 2007

Farmer's market

My neighbor got her husband to watch my two older kids while she and I snuck off to the downtown farmer's market this week. I took the stroller and Miss Pebbles. The market was a few blocks long and divided by product: shirts, crafts, jewelry and other handmade items on one block, and across a street you'll find the food.

There were samples of Indian and Greek food, produce in fantastic abundance and variety, fresh salsas and salad dressings, samples of decade-old and more balsamic vinegar, rich and flavorful olive oils, and did I mention the Greek food?

I have never, in my entire life, tasted tomatoes that had me rooted to the spot in absolute ecstasy. The texture, color, and flavor of meticulously grown heirloom tomatoes had me in wondering awe.

Ambling on down the lane we found some salad dressings. At first we both were a little reluctant to sample salad dressing dripped on a plastic spoon. I mean, come on. But curiosity got the better of us and we sampled every last flavor available. Tasting those salad dressings was like going to Penzey's for the first time: revelation. I had no idea that salad dressing could taste like that. I felt like Salieri listening to Mozart for the first time: reverent, transported, and somewhat jealous that she could make such a thing while my talents remain in mediocrity, and I wished that she would share her recipe so I could bask in her glory by reflection. I walked away with two bottles and didn't cringe at the price. After all, salads are a great way to get veggies right? And with dressing like this that has so little fat and so much flavor, how could I go wrong?

My version of heaven shall have such foods in it, such tomatoes and dressings. Throw in the cantaloupe we found at a farmer's market in Colorado and the fresh, juicy peaches, and I can surely understand why the Greeks believed that even the gods would deign to eat.

I've just finished a snack of chickpeas and tomatoes dressed with a delightful cranberry citrus concoction from the above mentioned salad dressing booth. Yes, I used a spoon.

While we were walking we got to see a churro dough dispenser in action. We also each picked up a spanikopita. Can I just say YUM. Pebbles ate about half of mine, spinach and all. I adore Greek food. I do wish that Americans had picked up the Greek diet rather than whatever diet we have now. Though my Costco just started carrying Greek yogurt. Tzatziki for me with no overnight coffee filter in the fridge!

No comments: