Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Gossip

http://www.livescience.com/health/071015-gossip-power.html

I've long been fascinated by gossip, why we believe it, why it works, how we justify it, and what exactly we're willing to believe just because someone swears by it.

Abdicating responsibility for finding truth in the name of "relying on a good source" seems to be a cop-out to me.

On another note: A poem I love.

If thou could’st empty all thyself of self
Like unto a shell dishabited
Then might He find thee on the ocean shelf
And say, ‘This is not dead,’
And fill thee with Himself instead.

But thou art all replete with very thou
And has such shrewd activity
That when He comes He says, ‘This is enou
Unto itself–’twere better let it be.
It is so small and full, there is no room for me.”

–Thomas Brown

I'm giving a talk on serving others this Sunday. I love the idea that emptying ourselves of self is a choice, rather than something that is generally brought to pass.

The specific idea of my talk: Seek Service. Don't just let the opportunities happen to you.

No comments: