Sunday, August 12, 2007

Weekend

Do you ever make something for dinner with a fair amount of regularity, then somehow forget about it, then have your spouse recall it with amour, and you have no idea how to make it anymore?

Well, I have. I used to make a hoisin chicken dish that Man just loved. Even if I doubled the recipe there was never enough for him to take to work the next day. I've been trying to remember how to make it all over again but this time I'm trying to get it right with the pregnancy olfactory unsystem working against me.

Let this be a lesson to me!! Always write recipes down once I get them right.

Speaking of getting recipes right, I stumbled upon one for ginger bread that looks really yummy. I mixed it up and with relief found that I had just the right amount of molasses on hand, smelled it baking and longed for that first, moist bite. Well, when that first bite came I found that it tasted a lot like burnt tree bark. Man took a bite, contemplated the flavor, looked at my molasses jar, and said "holy cow, you used blackstrap molasses! Ugh, argh!!"

Let that be another lesson to me. Black strap molasses is NOT what recipes call for when baking ginger bread.

We went to a back to school festival yesterday at the local outdoor mall. It was just another long series of tables featuring various merchants and non profit organizations handing out pens and lollipops. Princess and Tag got to make beaded kaychains though, and we now have enough keychains from the Army table to last us a very long time. We did have lunch at Chipotle, so that made up for a lot.

This morning we woke up with every last one of us either in the midst of illness or still on the mend, so we decided to skip Stake Conference, bum around, and make toxic-tasting ginger bread. Oh, and we watched a movie called Mobsters and Mormons which I recommend. The stereotypes were just etched in neon but the message was really great.

Miss Pebbles has been feeling significantly better in the last couple of days. It's such a relief to have her smiling and playing on her own rather than crying and clinging all day long. It makes such a world of difference to have my happy, sweet girl back!

Hehe. Time for another fun filled week. Events to look forward to: Watching a friend's kids for a couple of hours three days this week and an ultrasound on Friday. I feel tired even thinking about it.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'm anxious for your ultrasound! Will Tag get a brother to make the score even b/g or will estrogen clearly dominate in your house?!!