Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cold lunch

Princess came home last night asking if she could take a cold lunch to school the next day. Ok, I thought, that's weird.

"Why?"
"Because I like having the option."

Holy cow. Did that mature statement come out of her 5 year old mouth?

"Alright. What would you like to take?"
"A turkey sandwich, a hotdog wrapped with a paper towel and tuna with crackers."
"..."
"Mom, did you hear me?"

I went to bed last night without making it. We got back from an FRG meeting after 2000 so after we dragged kids through the bedtime routine and got them tucked in, I dragged myself into bed. Today I feel that sort of tired you get after swimming for a long time and then coming out of the pool: heavy, water logged, and a bit dazzled from the sun. I have an appt today at 0900 to submit paperwork that I had no time to fill out last night, my house managed to get trashed after just one day of heavy errands and I'm once again wishing there was a safe and legal way to administer an electric shock to Tag every time he screams.

On the bright side, I'd say that FRG was pretty neat last night. Only three families showed up since the announcement was made somewhat late in the day so it was smaller and more personable, but it'll be nice to have more people come next time. It was funny too see the sparse collection of food and realize how much more rounded of a meal you get when a whole bunch of people bring things. There was a nice green salad with crainsins, poached chicken, walnuts, and balsamic vinegrette, and then there was my lasagna stuff. Oh, and individual serving sized chips. Pretty rounded, eh? The lady who brought the salad had a gluten intolerance so would be eating just her salad, and of course Man and Tag couldn't eat the salad with walnuts in it. I said great, all we need then is someone allergic to peanuts. The lady across the table raised her hand. Yep. There we go.

So I need to think of some sort of crockpot meal for tonight.

I think houses should be made of concrete inside and out, with waterproof furniture and flooring. That way you could leave your house for a couple of hours while it gets sealed up and powerwashes itself. Tell the kids to put their toys in the secure, water proof bins or they will be washed away and go through the giant garbage disposal. Then the house will either heat or engage super-fast, industrial-sized fans that will dry things within 20 mins so when you come home, there is no dusting, vacuuming, dirty dishes, or clutter cleanup to deal with.

Don't steal my idea. I'm going to make a killing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remain convinced that your daughter created her own language FIRST and then deigned to learn English for our benefit...scary, isn't it? :) KM

Andrea Hardee said...

lol I'm there with you. Pebbles is doing the same thing now, talking in complete sentences in Babese complete with mature inflection. She follows all kinds of directions and communicates very effectively without English, so I don't know what it's going to take to get her to make the transition.