Sunday, August 19, 2007

College students, beware

I'm in the middle of a killer sinus infection today so lunch was Ramen noodles. To feed four of us, I made 6 packages in our largest saucepan (about 3 quarts of water, I think).

The water got to a nice slow start, thanks to the altitude, so even though it was a good, boiling temperature it was just sort of lazily heaving at the surface. I dumped all the little spice packets into a small bowl and got everything ready to go (after all, cooking Ramen in quantity is an art).

Both older kids were standing on a chair in front of the stove so they could help so I decided to just quickly dump the spices in so they could start adding the noodles.

As soon as I dumped the spices in, the water exploded. Not just "boiled over" or "slightly exceeded the limits of the sauce pan", no, it EXPLODED. It splashed all over the stove, managed to put the fire out completely, landed all over the floor, but thankfully didn't splash my terrified kids. Tag ran from the room screaming into the arms of Man while PB stood petrified with her hands over her mouth.

I had to use a lighter to get the flame going again but after a few more minutes we managed to enjoy our exploding Ramen.

So, college students (and moms who are sick and don't want to cook) beware the Ramen. It may be a cheap time saver but then you'll have to clean your sticky kitchen afterward.

No comments: