Wednesday, June 18, 2008

night owl

Tag decided tonight that he wanted to stay up like mom and dad, so we said sure! Go right on ahead.

We tucked the girls in and Tag was so smug and happy to stay awake. It's always nice after bed time, how quiet it gets. He followed me around as I put dishes away, folded laundry, washed the kitchen floor, and fed Freida some solids. He asked if he could watch a movie and I said no, this is mom and dad quiet time. Man headed to bed pretty early leaving us up to get Freida tucked in and finish folding laundry. Tag couldn't understand why we'd be so boring at night. Where was the music? Where were the mom and dad movies (some of the scarier PG-13 and Man's Kung Fu movies)? Where was the party?

It reminds me of those moments in movies or sitcoms when men start to wonder what's in the ladies' bathroom. Is there scented water? Toilets that sing? Doves that bring us silk hand towels? A lot of the larger bathrooms on post here have sitting areas with couches and large mirrors. It's nice to have a place to nurse a baby if I absolutely can't make it back to my van before the baby implodes from starvation but I try not to make a habit of feeding anyone in a public restroom.

Anyway, Tag's experience with staying up late was rather disappointing. Which is just how we engineered it.

See, we often compete on Dr Mario, or watch a movie I've been putting off until no little eyes are around (we got tired of Princess having nightmares after watching Lord of the Rings), and that's also when we get the better ice cream out. I'm sure that he suspected that all of these things are what we indulge in every night as soon as we close the hall door. And maybe he's right.

But he doesn't need to know that.

By 9pm he was wilting like a spring blossom in the Sahara, begging us to let him go to bed since he was bored out of his mind. I told him that I was going to let him experience the consequence of his decision, and he was allowed to go to bed when I was ready to go to bed. Too bad that I often stay up later than I should, as well, but I can always think of something interesting to do when I don't have 8 arms, 8 legs, 8 eyes, and 4 voices demanding my attention. Sounds like a lot of people when I put it that way, doesn't it? So here I am blogging in a smug more-mature-than-thou-if-thy-pseudonym-be-Tag sort of way and doing the same dumb thing we're trying to discourage him from. The irony is vastly amusing but there are times when being a hypocrite has its rewards. He said that tomorrow he'd be happy to go to bed when his sisters do.

No comments: