Monday, June 09, 2008

Holy baking mix, Muffin M... I mean, Batman.

I purchased a couple of muffin mixes of the "just add water/milk" variety. This morning I happened to be up early enough to whip up a batch for Man before work and as he munched on hot, buttered strawberry muffins asked "isn't there a recipe for muffin mix of some kind, where you just add fruit and milk?"

Well, duh. Why didn't I think of that?

A quick search on Recipezaar reveals that someone is already waaay ahead of us.

Behold, Universal Muffin Mix. There are 57 different flavor suggestions. 57!! (one of the flavors takes up two steps) I think this is the holy grail of muffin mix recipes and Man will be thrilled.

Now, how on earth am I supposed to mix this up? The crazy thing is, I think I have all the ingredients for this on hand. If I sub some wheat flour in, will the shelf life decrease? I could just keep this in the freezer.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

If you are using shelf stable wheat flour, I'm guessing you could go half wheat/half white and still keep it in the pantry.

If you are using fresh ground wheat flour, you could keep it in the freezer up to a month and still have it be ok.

I'd be inclined to mix in everything but the whole wheat flour and just mix that in before you make the muffins just to have the best of both worlds. I grind my wheat weekly and keep it in the fridge for that week's baking.