Monday, June 30, 2008

Mired in waiting

We have a date, we have a destination, we have a rough travel plan.

So, why am I having such a hard time figuring out how to go about moving? We need to schedule everyone and their cousin to get out of here but the thing is, once the movers come we're out of here. However, after they come we have to schedule a final check through, and we may have to do a couple of things more after that to get cleared.

But once your stuff is gone, you can't stay anymore. We have a very definite window during which we have to erase any trace of our lives here from this home (except for normal wear and tear, which can be an awesome sight for a family of 6) and arrive at another place only to become immediately established enough to send two kids to school. For about a week, while our things are in a crate somewhere and we're living out of our van and hotels, we'll be houseless but not homeless and that makes me nervous. It reminds me of the time when I had been mere months out of my parents' house when I was between apartments and relying on the good graces of some kind strangers (it wasn't as bad as it sounds) and I felt ill, not knowing where to lay my head or take off my shoes. During the day I sigh dozens of times over and re-place it all in God's hands. Heh. But if I have to do it over and over again, does that mean I didn't do it right in the first place? I want to have an address, a place to park my vehicle, and a phone number.

So, Man and I will sit down tomorrow with our calendar and make definite enough plans that we can start calling hotels for reservations and hopefully get a bead on where we'd like to live in our new (albeit very temporary) city. We're making some plans like spending enough time in one particular town to take advantage of the outlet malls for school clothes, and getting there with x number of days to spare to find a place before Man has to start his new classes. We can't get the kids registered for school until we know where we're living, and we can't find a place for sure until we're actually over there. Unfortunately, we hear that there's a significant waiting list for decent places to live and we do live on a humble salary, so hotels are something we can only afford for brief periods.

Oh, well. It'll work out. Plan, plan, plan. Ha. I can barely plan how to use the rest of the stuff in my freezer.

The only thing I know for sure that I can get a grip on is sorting through our junk and making sure we aren't dragging dead weight all over the country, especially since we'll be moving once more just a few short months after this coming move. I fear that my nervous energy is turning to nibbling and there are only so many carrots I can convince myself to prudently nosh before my poor, worn out patience demands some dark chocolate. Further more, my internet has been on the blink most of the day so I havn't been able to do any of the research I wanted to do. Before it went out I was able to order Tag another 4 pairs of glasses since the three we purchased just a few months ago are all toast. -sigh- The two weeks until those glasses get here seem like a long time for a boy with a crossed eye.

Anyway, off I go to put another dent in my landslide and another drop in my parched reservoir.

No comments: