Wednesday, June 18, 2008

new toy

In exchange for watching her son, a friend presented me with a high whorl drop spindle. That was a "squee" moment for me if ever I've had one. For some reason though, this spindle and the yarn it makes are part vampire. I've had a difficult time getting a picture of either the spindle or the yarn. Oh, well.


This, friends, is way over spun yarn. It's setting after soaking in warm water. I think it'll become a felted hot pad for the lady who brought it over. Because we can never have too many hotpads that smell like sheep. Ha! It's oddly addictive to make this stuff but I can see how it would be tedious to depend on it for all my cloth needs. Some things are better left as hobbies.


I've heard of adding all kinds of fun things into hand spun yarn, like beads, colorful string, easter grass, cotton balls, hair from pets or loved ones (though I have mixed feelings on that one), dried herbs, fishing line, ad infinitum. It'll be fun to see what I can do with this once I get a better idea of what I'm doing.

No comments: