Monday, September 10, 2007

The morning dash

I woke up this morning after dreaming about trying to buy some food at a movie theater only to have my name pop up as the name of a wanted felon (who was old, fat, ugly, and MALE) when I stirred my sleepy eyes and saw that it was 7:19. Ack!! I didn't set my alarm for 6:30 last night. Thankfully, Princess had her tomorrow clothes ready to go and her backpack in its place so that when I woke her up she was only 10 mins from sleeping to ready. Fear of the tardy slip made her rush where she normally putters and we were still ready to go out the door a few mins before our 7:45 go time.

She dressed herself in this adorable taupe dress that has china blue flowers on it, getting thicker with floral toward the hem, but it was sleeveless and last night I didn't look too carefully at the shirt she chose to go under it. This morning she had her light blue shirt that has a very slight green cast to it (actually a pretty shirt) under this pretty dress and then she put her pink and yellow rain boots with it. I mentioned that she might want to go with pants today until we find a better shirt to go with her dress, but she wanted to go as was. ::sigh:: I was very torn on whether I should just let her walk out with that outfit, being a good supportive mom who appreciates her child's style creativity or a mom who wisely warns her daughter that she's making several fashion faux pas so she can shape up a bit before heading out. I erred on the side of gently suggesting pants, she stuck with her decision, and I didn't say a word after that. I refused to let the funny looking outfit diminish my pride and appreciation of my daughter. Moms, how do you handle such things? I know the dynamic will change as she grows and I'll have less and less input unless I prove myself the ultimate in chic.

::snort:: Bwahahaha! As if.

Me in 10 years: "Put a jacket over those spaghetti straps!! Layer with those short-shorts, no, ladies do not wear fishnet stockings, and are you sure you're not going to break your neck with those 4" spike healed thigh-high boots?"

Can anyone imagine my sweet Princess in such a getup? Of course not. That's because it'll never happen.

No comments: