Tuesday, September 04, 2007

First tomatoes

For my first small gathering of (finally!!) ripened tomatoes, of course I had to make BLT's. Man had BL's, Pebbles had B and bread (she picked off the other stuff), Princess made herself a B and turkey sandwich, and Tag just ate B until he realized that with a family of five, we get three pieces each and that isn't very filling. So, you can guess which ingredient is the most popular around here. I had the pleasure of layering an entire medium tomato onto my sandwich. The breed of tomato that is ripening more quickly isn't a terribly juicy sort so it was nice to enjoy the full tang of garden tomato without having to wash my arms to the elbow afterward. I'll enjoy the juicier ones later, simply sliced with a sprinkle of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Bliss. :)

Sunday's funny kid moment: The Primary President asked the kids if they knew what sorts of service they could provide for their parents in the evening. One kid in my class raised his hand and said that if it's been a long day for mom to drink cold medicine so you go to sleep faster. Ha! Future insomniac, right there.

Labor Day weekend... Man had to work a normal work day on Saturday, but other than that we've just been kicking it in the afternoons after errands have been run and general cleaning accomplished. We got to visit my grandmother yesterday and, since she's thinking of moving out of the country soon, is massively downsizing her possessions, as is my aunt who was home for a few weeks. So they loaded down our van with things they never wanted to see again, including a large box of books, three bags of children's clothing, and a brand-spankin'-new rice cooker. Sweet!! I've used my rice cooker about 3 times a week for the last 5 years and it's finally starting to look a little worn. And Princess has a new crop of clothes to fit into! Blessings come in the most interesting, unexpected ways sometimes. I had just been lamenting to Man my lack of decent reading material as of late. The 4th Mitford book was in the pile and I devoured it today, once again gettng swept away in these amazing volumes.

They said that we should come back with a moving truck to claim an entire apartment's worth of furniture and, knowing my aunt and her love of flea markets, perhaps a third of the contents of their two car garage which has been lovingly stacked to the gills over the years. I'm sort of glad we had the extra chair in the van for this visit, seeing as I was mentally unprepared to be thus laden. I went through everything as soon as we got home and found homes for everything, whether in my house or someone else's.

College progress: None so far. I have contacted Captain to see if I could help set up an FRG with education as a topic to help motivate me to greater depths of research but havn't heard back yet. I was excited to be reminded that the AFTB classes I took can count toward college credit. Woohoo! I'll contact the education office this week to see about getting an appointment to chat with an advisor.

Oh my stars and little fishes... Heaven help me on this journey.

1 comment:

Sarah Beck said...

nothing can beat a home-grown tomato. good luck on the college endeavour!