Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The movies you remember of yore

Yesterday I was so anxious and fretful that I went to Target to see what I could find in their under $10 movie section that would take my mind off of recent and forthcoming events. (why do I have hypertension? let me count the reasons...) To my surprise, there was a movie I loved as a young person, a movie oft-quoted and giggled over: Airplane! The "Don't call me Shirley" edition. I brought that and a couple others home (I'm calling this my "congrats for making it to the end of pregnancy #4" gift) but Man said that he'd heard some sketchy things about this movie. Bah! I said. It's just Airplane! A little light fun, stupid running gags, puns, etc. Something to make me laugh. Alright, he said. But, erm, let me know how it goes. He went off to do his homework, I settled down for a nice dose of nostalgia.

Well, let's just say that I'm now positive that I saw a TV edited version of this movie and I'm very glad the kids were in bed when I popped it in. It was rated PG on the back but there was very foul language, overtly sexual references, massive drug references, and even a couple of brief moments of anterior female nudity. It wasn't even that funny, really. No belly laughs at all.

Bah. Just as disappointing as watching Zorro: The Gay Blade all over again, remembering how dang funny it was only to get annoyed with it.

What movies have done this for you? Any really major let downs out there?

Fortunately I did pick up The Princess Bride which I HAVE seen and loved as an adult, as well as an Adam Sandler two pack -- 50 First Dates (which I LOVED) and Mr. Deeds (also hilarious).

We still quote Mr Deeds around here: Man can walk very quietly in his socked feet and has been known to make me jump by unintentionally sneaking up on me and then asking a question full voice. I yelp, and he says "ah, you underestimate the sneakiness." I swear, that Man needs a bell around his neck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jem and the Holligrams.
I thought that cartoon was SOOO sophisticated and full of pre-pre-teen sexual tension.
as an adult, I was bored, and thoughtit was SOOO stupid!
On the other hand, He-man, She-ra and Thundercats (in spite of obvious camp)continue to be cool.
I feel sorry for movies like Airplane. Princess Bride has proved that you don't need the gross stuff to be highly funny and quotable.

--KM :)
hang in there, Mom.

Anonymous said...

The one that shocked me was the all time, pre-teen favorite GREASE. Yes, I saw it as a kid, one of my best friends had it in VHS (remember those?) and we thought it was great. We must've watched it a million times, memorizing all the music, all the dance moves. . . we were grease fanatics! I watched it about six months ago (note: I haven't seen this show in ten years), and I was blown away by all the sexual connotations, the suggestive use of drugs and alcohol, and every other adult moment hidden between the dialogue. I think what shocked me the most is that I must have watched that movie a million times with my eyes closed because I didn't remember any of those parts before.

Gee, I sound like the overly-righteous mother on "HAIRSPRAY" who tied her disobedient daughter to the bed with a jumprope and doused her with holy water as punnishment for her "sinful ways". Boy. THAT's SCARRY!

M.