Thursday, December 06, 2007

Click to donate!

It's a phenomenon. I've seen these around for a few years, where you daily visit a website and click a button and some mysterious force will donate a penny or so to any given cause (pets, breast cancer, etc).

Wikipedia has an article on Click to Donate sites.

Google Click to Donate and you'll find many opportunities to do so.

The only problem is, it's boring to open a bookmark full of sites every day, click through them, making sure to get each and every one with the morning comics. And then, if you forget to do so, you feel bad, like you've cheated someone out of all of your little pennies that might have made a difference. What if you have slow internet? I don't want to load 100 sites a day just to donate pennies.

My Uncle J sent the perfect solution. FreeRice.com. It's a vocabulary game that increases vocabulary awareness and donates 20 grains of rice every time you get a word right. This gives you incentive to get a word right, since your score is basically how much rice you give away.

Now, how much is 20 grains? About 1/4 of a teaspoon. I havn't counted. But based on that assumption it'd take 192 right answers to make one cup of of rice, or approximately 3840 grains. In about 10 mins I've racked up 1060 grains of rice or just slightly more than 1/4 of a cup. I think I've gained more than 1/4 cup worth of vocab though. I'd say that this is worth a daily click just to get the brain juices going.

It also has a slight competitive aspect to it: different words are assigned to different levels, based on how many people get any given word right. On a scale of 1-50, people very rarely get higher than 48.

My highest level so far: 42. Which is, of course, the answer to life, the universe, and everything. I am content.

And no cheating. >:-( I've been tempted, but have yet to look anything up before making a semi-educated guess. Thanks, Mom, for all of that Latin and Greek! And Shakespeare!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I've gotta go check it out. What a fun idea! I always did the rainforest/books/mammogram(--there were 4 or 5 click to donate sites all linked together)sites as part of my morning routine while I was in college but got out of the habit.

Kelly said...

I got a 44 as my best score. Phew! What a workout! that was better than lsat prep books!

Kelly said...

I played again this morning. I'm really surprised by how many biology terms I came across. I think I have a new addiction. Thanks for the fun!