Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cellulitis revisited

Yes, our fifth bout with cellulitis began yesterday morning. I got it on my arm. I called the dr that day, got an appt for Thursday, but the nurse called this morning because the dr just happened to see the phone message and told them to get me in right away. I also got a bit of a stern talking to, that in the future I should tell them that the doctor personally told me to get in that very day.

It isn't too bad so far. It's about an inch in diameter. The only problem is that now I'm pregnant. The only antibiotic that she can prescribe is the one that didn't work last time. She gave me a shot of antibiotics, an Rx for 10 days (4x/day) of another kind, and told me to come back tomorrow for another shot. And d*** does that shot hurt!! For the love of Pete and little fishes! I can barely move my arm after popping some Tylenol even though the shot was mixed with lidocaine.

She said that if we're lucky, this treatment will work. If it doesn't... we'll cross that bridge when we get there. She wouldn't even tell me what would happen if it doesn't work. I cried on the way to the Target Pharmacy. What if I do have to take an antibiotic that could hurt this baby? This is an illness that is life threatening if untreated but what about that poor little fetus that's still in its first trimester?

I was so grateful for my dear friend M today. She watched the kids and had a great big hug waiting for me when I got home. She spoke of some of the miracles she's had the privilege of experiencing and I recalled all of mine as well. I'm putting hot compresses on the infection, using heavy-duty prescription strength antibiotic ointment, and I'll be calling the home teachers as soon as Man comes home for a blessing. If you have a prayer or a thought to send this direction, I'd appreciate that, too.

No comments: