Thursday, June 28, 2007

Angry

Can I rant? Why, thank you.

[rant]
We get regular calls from a fax machine. It originates from Canada if my sources are to be believed (tons of hits on the internet regarding the same thing and phone numbers) but it channels through various US phone numbers at times. We finally got caller ID so we could track these calls and make a complaint. Our only other option would be to change our phone number. The Army doesn't like it when you do that. We would have to call several dozen different agencies, programs, offices, and companies in order to do this, and each is vitally important.

So, anyway, there is a specific format that these calls show up in: the caller ID always says [either Canada or US state] ###-###-#### (except real numbers). We get these calls at all hours of the night and day, at least 3 times a week, and always in batches of 3. It's always a fax machine.

This morning at 4:30 we get a phone call from Montana ###-###-#### and since I've gotten one from Montana before (and Florida, and Ohio, and Maine, etc) I turned off the phone and rolled over. It happened three times. Great, I thought. Now I can get back to sleep. Except a couple of minutes later our doorbell rings. Yep, someone from the Army came to summon Man for a UA (it's a company things, apparently) and since they couldn't get through on the phone, they had to come get him personally. I asked if he was supposed to be there at 0600, he said no, he was supposed to be there are 0500. At that point it was 0530. Of course the guy making the calls has a cell phone from a different part of the country, and of course he would havae his name unlisted. This is the Army, afterall.

Needless to say, I feel terrible. I'm mad at this fax machine, mad that I didn't just pick up the stinking phone, mad that he's likely going to get into trouble, mad that I lost 3 hours of sleep, mad that we will CONTINUE to get calls from a fax machine and the only thing we can do to stop it is something that could comprimise someone's ability to get ahold of us, including someone doing his duty and rousing soldiers from bed at 0dark00 for a pee test.

Stay tuned to see if I change my phone number. I'm considering it. Strongly. And if this one has a fax machine calling it, I might move to the mountains and not own a phone and drool over paper dolls for the rest of my life b/c this is driving me CRAZY.

[/rant]

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Have you tried calling the fax number? Faxes are generally also connected to telephones. Or, set up your computer to receives faxes and see who the idiot is who's sending you stuff.

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

This happened to me too! That is so strange! For about two months we got three calls from a fax machine every morning and it was driving me crazy! This was when Charlie was new so I was really ticked that these calls were interrupting precious sleep time for mommy. We don't have caller ID so we don't know where they are coming from. I called my phone company and the woman told me that when I answer a fax call to dial down the center of the keypad (2580) and that is supposed to send a message that it's not a fax machine. Didn't work. It finally stopped, but I was about to change my phone number too. I wonder if it's the same thing. I have never heard of it happening to anyone else. How long has it been happening?

(I deleted and reposted this because I had a lapse in spelling ability.)

Andrea Hardee said...

It's been going on since we moved here, so at least 6 months. It has tapered off some (I think that last one we got was a couple weeks ago). But STILL!!! (angry)

jen said...

That SUCKS!! I can't say I feel your pain, because this has never happened to me before, but I would be supremely P-O'd. I can't believe you've lasted 6 months.
This is why we don't have a home phone number...