Friday, March 02, 2007

Dune Fear Mantra

I seem to have an abundance of opportunities to remember, face, and resolve my many fears over the past several months. Some things that I avoided facing as a younger person have come alive again and I've had to either free myself, or remain in bondage to them. There is one particular fear that I've really been struggling with over the past several years that has come to the forefront. Through prayer and meditation I'm finally able to begin sorting through and understanding quite a bit of this and sending it to the garbage where it belongs. (please, don't knitpick my metaphor. i know it isn't perfect) It's interesting how even in the face of logic my fight or flight reaction still kicks in when I think about it. A good friend has told me that it's perfectly normal for someone who was in my situation to carry this sort of fear with her, possibly even for the rest of her life. But the power that can be gained by looking it full in the face, calling it what it is, and allowing it to change you for the stronger is a power one cannot do without.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

There have been times when I have been so consumed by fear that I have been incapable of moving. The pain of it is excruciating. Being marked by fear in inevitable. It either enslaves and eventually destroys or, having overcome it, it gives us the freedom to move through life's obstacles with power and purpose. I think that fear is one of our many refining fires. It takes bits of our mortality and either swaths us in it or strips it from us. What's left is the stronger and better person I have inside of me as well as the new strength and knowledge I gain from experience.

Only I will remain.

And I know that I am beautiful.

So today I celebrate!! I celebrate by loving without fear and giving myself the gift of accepting peace.

No comments: