Monday, March 12, 2007

Evolution of perspective part 2

I've been thinking about my grandmother a lot over the past several months. Last week I got to see her in a light that until recently I thought I was only capable of seeing my mother in. While my grandma still has my respect and dearest love, I see her now as a valued peer. We chatted, played with kids, went shopping, and one night we talked long past the kids' bedtime and ended up just giggling together while knitting. It culminated in my fatigue-drenched musings, wondering if God has someone to pray to when His kids are acting up.

I know I've cast my eyes to heaven and implored like a Jewish mother: Lord! Such children you have given me! Look at what they're doing! Did you plan this? Is there a reason for this?

I wonder if He has rolled His eyes to someone else and expressed His frustration or anger. What would He say?

It's so refreshing to see the world as an adult, where everyone in it is a potential friend rather than everyone taller than me being a distant, ineffably intimidating (though occasionally kind) authority figure. I'm so glad to have these dear friends with whom I can counsel and learn.

Also, I read a book that grandma highly recommended. At Home in Mitford is just the cutest, funniest, most country book I've read in a long time but it touched my heart in a way it hasn't in a long time as well. It's just about the most typical book an LDS girl from the midwest could read and enjoy, but, well I did. There is truth in it, truth in service, love, humility, fear, and facing fear. It also gave me an interesting look into the mind of someone who is consistently working to be positive and uplifting... except to maybe his secretary.

No comments: