Thursday, March 22, 2007

Cap'n Crunch

There is something vaguely creepy about Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch cereal. We got to the bottom of the box this morning and there wasn't any cereal powder!

Oh, well. It continues to be a very cheap cereal at the commissary, at $1.67 per box. We had a spree on Honey Bunches of Oats with Strawberries for a while at $1.79 per box. You know, that place has got a whole wall o' cereal but they have no Malt-o-Meal hot cereal at all. I guess it's a good thing the kids like oatmeal.

Dinner last night: Rachel Ray's lemon chicken. I had to make the lemon curd from scratch since I didn't want to walk up to the store and boy, oh boy after Princess and I got done licking our fingers there was barely enough left to make the chicken. The chicken dish itself was initially worrisome. I thought that it would end up being super sweet, but the broth, vinegar, and chicken cut the curd sufficiently to make it just a little sweeter than I would have preferred, but not bad at all. It also made the sauce nice and smooth and custardy without being quite so fake looking as that weird lemon gel kind you get at restaurants. I think next time I would use white vinegar instead of rice vinegar, and maybe a bit more of it to better balance the sweet. Man went back for seconds, which either means that 5 mile run the other day is still increasing his appetite, or he didn't think it was too bad either.

And, for the record, it took longer than 30 mins. ;) But my chicken was frozen.

No comments: