Monday, June 15, 2009

Gremlins

This past week we got Gremlins from Netflix. It was the first time I'd seen it and hooted and whooped for my favorite bad-guy gremlins like the child of the 80's I am.

My comment half way through the movie:

Growing up, I didn't realize that this is a Christmas movie.

It isn't often that Man laughs out loud for people but I take a certain amount of pride in getting him to at least chuckle every day. This was one of those laugh out loud moments for him and I felt triumphant.

We had another scheduling conflict this week but I'm positive that I was the one who had her thing scheduled first. It looks like we're going to have to reinstitute a weekly scheduling coordination meeting that looks at least a month in the future. Just last week he said "oh, by the way, I'm going to need the vehicle for an entire month this summer for something I can't possibly reschedule" BOOM just like that. Why it has to happen over the summer when we NEED to go to the library and grocery store and Michaels is just beyond me. -sigh- Though our communication has grown exponentially over the past 8 years, we still have a ways to go yet. I guess one solution would be to get another little car. We keep buying little cars and selling them every time we move. But, it does save a lot of hassle to have that second vehicle. Especially when it comes to this week's hiccup where we may have to choose between my sleep consult and his heart scan. Wait another month while I just get grumpier and more tired, or wait another two weeks while his dr's have question about how his heart is handling dangerously low cholesterol? (did you even know you could get such a condition?)

In the mean time, the kids are handling the extra chores pretty well. We've only had one major complaint, and he shut up fast when he found out that the consequence of whining about chores was more chores. I can't tell you how nice it is to split dish duty among so many people even though I have to stand by and supervise. It has worked out nicely to have daily chores, and then swap other ones between the older kids Mon-Sat, with lighter and different chores on Sunday. Sunday's chores include planning out the family home evening stuff for that day or the next, help plan out meals for the week following the one coming up, and do some writing.



The green line shows the swapped chores in case my description didn't work. The real ones (with their actual names) are laminated in contact paper and marked off in wet-erase.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Good for you with the chore charts! I need to do something like that for the summer. Hope everything goes okay with the heart scan and the sleeping issue.