Thursday, June 04, 2009

Dried STUFF

I just got my first order from Honeyville Grain. Some of this crazy dried stuff has piqued my curiosity. With the food storage money we're setting aside, I finally bit the bullet and bought a few things to give them a whirl.


My beautiful assistant ate three eggs' worth of rehydrated eggs. They were cooked like scrambled. The taste was "different" but not quite "off"... if that makes sense. Not bad different, especially with some salt and pepper. I'll have to try them in French Toast.



Strawberries. Just like the ones you get in Honey Bunches of Oats with Strawberries. Woot!! Now I can just the much cheaper Honey Bunches of Oats with No Strawberries. Save money? Who knows. I'm going to add them to rice crispy treats, oatmeal, and maybe some muffins. They're gross rehydrated, so I won't be putting them into any water again any time soon.


The BEST kind of banana chips. They're crunchy and sweet. I prefer these to the chewy kind that come out of a standard dehydrator. My kids eat these like candy.



Mango. I'm not sure what to do with this stuff. I don't really care for it and won't be getting it again. It isn't too bad, overall, I'm just not sure how to use it. When it's rehydrated it's bland and mushy.


Egg powder:

Celery: (I never use the whole thing when I get fresh, but I use it in soup)



And my new baby basil is coming up:



The herbs that survived are looking feisty. It's neat to see the cilantro in three leaf stage -- two leaves and thin and blade-like, and the third looks like a graft of ruffly parsley:

No comments: