Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Are you my friend?

I havn't kept in contact with people I knew in the state where I was born. There are precious few people with whom I actively communicate from the state where I grew up. There is one person I keep in contact with from the state where I got married. I still chat with a small handful of people from the town where I was an insane newly wed and young mother. There are 3 people I was friends with in CA who still seek me out. No one from TX is in my life at all, except for one crazy Air Force lady who was Princess' Brownie leader. I have one whacky friend I've never met in my life who I nevertheless chat with inexplicably.

I was scrolling through friend lists while waiting for some meds to kick in (I, The Ever Graceful managed to mangle a toenail on a subwoofer) and I realized that my siblings have a lot more friends from the place I claim as my hometown than I do. I have precisely 76 friends, 4 fewer than my youngest (and shyest) sister despite my claim to a far greater pool of acquaintances. My other siblings have three times the number of friends. But I've noticed a trend... they have friended people from my youth who I also knew, but would never consider getting in touch with again. Why not? Meh. I was odd enough that I didn't even realize when my stupidity was burning bridges. I also use a nickname and it's awkward to explain in each friend request who I really am, you really know me, you didn't like me 10 years ago and probably won't still, but let's be friends anyway so I can annoy you by ignoring your pillow fight requests.

It's just an odd feeling to realize that so many of these people still know each other, when I felt that I never did. Don't get me wrong here, I don't feel left out. The close and dear friends I do have are extremely precious to me. I just kind of wonder what it'd be like to grow up with people instead of finding them as relatively well-formed adults.

Yes, friends. Every last one of you is a nerd in some way yet I say you're relatively well-formed.

I didn't say well-adjusted. :)

Love you all!

3 comments:

CrustyCupcake said...

Hey~ can't I count in the friend list from Tx? Y'all? I keep following you around so you must not be that bad?

Andrea Hardee said...

lol I count you are one from CA. :) But if you want to count TWICE, I think that can be arranged.

Anonymous said...

Good because you wrote "was" friends with... but sorry to tell ya' you're stuck with us!