Thursday, June 11, 2009

3 month supply

If you're wondering how to plan out a 3 month supply of "stuff", go HERE. Awesomest food storage website. They have an Excel worksheet that does all of the math and tabling you need to plan and keep track.

Cool thing: I've gotten the bulk of my list done and, out of curiosity, tallied up the rough cost of my main ingredients. It came up costing about $200 a month before the nitty gritty (I didn't put condiments in there, or spices, which I know can add up) It makes me feel good to know that the most expensive things have been accounted for and we're still well within our food budget.

NOW, we just need to do a little of sticking with that food budget. We've found a brand and cut of steak that we adore. So, rather than having a dining out budget, we've just dumped that money into the normal food budget since we've gone back to never going out except for the rare Costco lunch which, if you get hot dogs, costs peanuts.

I've also been looking at this wonderful low fat, Mediterranean cookbook my mother gave me for Christmas a few years back. It has some great-looking grain and bean salads I'm drooling over which would also make great food storage fodder.

No comments: