Monday, October 20, 2008

Menudo

Oh. My. Goodness. A friend down the street has a Latino boyfriend for whom she cooks menudo soup. Tonight she mentioned her meal plans as I was pulling a homemade pizza out of the oven. I told her I'd never tried it before so she offered to bring a sample by later in the evening.

I came home from a quick trip to the store to find she had come and gone in my absence.

I tried a sip of the broth first. It tasted like water down enchilada sauce. Next came some hominy which made it taste a lot like enchiladas with corn tortillas. Last, I tried the menudo.

Heaven help me. I couldn't swallow it. It was rubbery, and seemed like a cross between chicken and soft tofu, except slimier.

I spit it out but nothing prepared me for the aftertaste of some poor beast's offal. I shuddered, I still shudder, and I can't get the taste out of my mouth. She told me that it's an acquired taste. She was not kidding.

Blech, blech, blech.

3 comments:

Mediocre Renaissance Man said...

Yip. That's menudo alright. It's just one of several delicious dishes that Mexicans seem to love and I couldn't quite get my taste buds to accept.

I ate menudo once, and I will probably never eat it again, because I know. And now you know.

Kelly said...

intestines have never been on my yummy list. You're a braver woman than I am.

Anonymous said...

Wow! you got past the look of it? A nurse that I worked with in Hollister brought it to a potluck (yuckluck) and only the Hispanic nurses gobbled it up. Eeww!