Sunday, October 19, 2008

Journal Jar postings

I got a journal jar at an enrichment a couple of weeks ago and, since this is the closest thing to a journal that I've got, I may as well use it here.

Today's randomly selected topic: Tell about handed down talents, foods, clothespin dolls, willow whistles, pottery, quilting, whittling, meat drying, etc.


First of all, wow. How old do they think I am?

My paternal grandmother knits and crochets, but I didn't learn how from her. I guess I inherited a love and fascination with string from her and my dad. Dad told of how he could take a whole roll of string and chain crochet the whole thing with his fingers, then take the chain and chain it again but not the whole length, and in that manner make a bull whip of telescoping diameter. That, folks, is patience. If there's tangled yarn about, I really prefer to untangle the yarn than crochet with it. But, since crochet and knitting is basically tangling yarn in an orderly fashion, it's the next best thing.

From my dad, I learned how to wiggle my ears and to love writing.

My mom taught me how to see beauty in all children.

I got a love of cooking from my maternal grandparents, even though I don't even approach their skill, creativity, and sense of adventure.

Uncle J taught me how to branch out in my musical taste and just get over the petty.

From them all, I learned that cross word puzzles among family can be exciting and entertaining, you don't need a holiday to get together with family and eat good food, and "I love you" doesn't always have to be said in so many words.

-twiddling my thumbs- Hm... I was hoping these things would be a little more entertaining. Maybe tomorrow's will be.

1 comment:

Mamabug said...

I don't know - I thought it was insightful. Oh the things I see!!