Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Getting it done

As things get more and more hectic with Man, I'm learning how to quit waiting around and just do.

So, yesterday the kids and I played. Princess was home with a sore throat but we just had to get out of the house, so I window shopped for my mother's day present. The kids didn't want to window shop but that's what it ended up being. Then we all came home and had a rest. It put a sign on the door telling everyone to go away, unplugged my phone, and enjoyed a couple of hours (!!) of silence (!!!!!).

Today, after Princess came home from school, we took all the chairs and trash cans outside, put bathing suits on, and hosed everything and everyone down. Then everyone took a warm bath and ate popcorn on a sheet in the living room while watching Spiderman 3, which was very comicbooky and moralizing, but pretty neat nonetheless. The kids have been busy using every toy they own trying to sled down a hill in the back yard. It's been fun to watch their various attempts. If there weren't those heinous stickers in the grass, rolling would work just fine.

I'm just kind of over the "gotta be a Molly Mormon Martha" thing. Sure, pick up and be healthy but I'm no longer interested in perfection. I think that myth of perfection among mortals and the pursuit of constantly bettering myself takes away from what life is all about -- serving my neighbor, nurturing my kids, loving my spouse, and doing God's work. I've noticed that when I pray, read my scriptures, and focus on others that my self betterment just sort of takes care of itself. It also makes it a lot easier to forgive my own shortcomings if my focus wasn't on myself in the first place. I guess, in a way, it's easier to myself in God's hands this way and trust that he'll be doing the molding, rather than trying to do it all myself. No, I'm not abdicating responsibility for my own growth. I'm just not obsessing over it. ;)

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less"

An online college called today and the salesperson kept trying to tell me that he's never heard of anyone who said they were glad that they had waited to go to college and that my busy schedule won't be any better next year. lol Well, I currently have a nursing baby who still wakes once at night, one child who will be going to school in the fall, and we're anticipating a move before the year is out. He said that a shift in priorities would make it easy for me to do online college. I smiled and said yes, but for right now my priorities are right where they ought to be. That felt good.

No comments: