Saturday, May 10, 2008

Birthday parties, and I'm so grateful

Nothing especially funny today. I'm sitting here in my bath robe, listening to Into the West sung by Annie Lennox, and wondering how old I was the last time staying up past 9:30 wasn't a punishment.

Today we had Tag's birthday party. We postponed it a few weeks and then found out that Man wasn't going to be here this weekend but I said "well, crap" (because, remember, I'm the crude spouse) "we've put it off this long, let's just do it and get it over with."

Why was I bound and determined? I'm not sure. Maybe because I've never had a party for my kids before. There has always been something getting in the way of having a party, like a pregnancy or new baby, or moving. I wanted to do something to celebrate Tag, something that the other kids could enjoy, something special just to throw a party and say "hey, kid, we're thinking of you and you really are special to us." I've been in that sort of mood lately.

Yesterday I spent outside for one thing or another and then frantically tried to get the house ready for today. Then I slept in as long as I could this morning to make up for a week of Man being largely gone, Frieda going through a growth spurt (necessitating round the clock nursing) and yet another round of illness in two kids. After that I looked at my list of things to do (make cake, make potato salad, cut up fruit, stuff pinata, clean the house some more) and said "forget this. We've got that economic stimulus thing coming soon. Today, it's all Costco." So we go one of those mile-high chocolate cakes from Costco with all the chocolate shavings on the sides (yes, they are totally as tasty as they look), pre-made potato salad (5 pounds, .5 pounds of which actually got eaten during the party, leaving us with enough to last the rest of the month) and landfill fodder in the form of plates, silverware, and cups I gleefully chucked in the garbage. Burgers, dogs, zucchini and onions were all grilled, with sides of nachos, honey dew, apples, and carrots. I always worry if we'll have enough food and then we end up with far too many leftovers.

Anyway, my friends were huge life savers. Brian was my Grill Master (hey, man, you were the GM!), his wife, R, was my baby holder, as were Friends C, A, and B. Friend C was also clean up crew, kid herder, Pebbles comfort item, and official photographer. Friend J provided a lighter for the cake when I couldn't find my matches and didn't want to bother with opening an MRE. Amidst the chaos, running around, bike riding, bubble blowing, cake eating, yelling, laughing, and kidness there was Tag, soaking it all up like a little beaming sponge. Princess had a great time, Pebbles had a great time, Frieda had no idea what the heck was going on but sort of soaked it all up, and afterward it was all we could do to sit around and watch movies together. Princess and Tag managed to blow bubbles for another couple of hours.

Once again, my friends have saved the day. With Man gone so much more I'm having to get used to the idea of either doing it all myself or asking for help. Thanks, everyone, for making it possible and helping a little guy feel special. He got that look on his face that all of us do when we get the birthday song sung to us -- a little shy, a little bewildered, but smiling.

Friend C has all the pinata, gift, and cake pictures on her camera. I'll have to see if she can email them. In the mean time, enjoy an image of what Tag decided to do with the bottles of bubbles:

He called it his rainbow. It was all I could do to smile and ask him calmly to go take them outside. Thank heavens they were all still sealed.

Tonight as we read scriptures, Frieda was tucked into bed, Pebbles was snuggled in my lap, Princess was leaning up against me, and Tag was laying on the floor driving his new Transformer car. It's a good sort of tired.

And now I need to think of a plausible way to give away the potato salad to neighbors... "hey, I noticed you just moved in. I know it's customary to bring over cookies or something like that but enjoy this nice dish of Costco potato salad from this past weekend. Sorry we didn't bother to invite you to the barbecue. What, you didn't just move in? Have the salad anyway. No, I insist. I don't care, just put it in the garbage if you have to but keep the stinking salad. No, no, there's nothing wrong with it for the love of mercy just keep the salad. And stay off my lawn! Welcome to the neighborhood."

-sigh- Maybe the raccoons will eat it.

1 comment:

Mediocre Renaissance Man said...

I don't know if you could hear her over everyone else's singing, but "Pebbles's" singing of the birthday song was SOOOOOO cute. She really is a sweet little kid.

Thanks for the party, it was fun (I especially liked that I didn't have to be overly social). We'll talk to you later.