Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Those silly Chaplains

In taking an inventory of what may be causing Man's headaches, the company Chaplain asked to see both of us yesterday to find where we might trim some of his stress and make life easier for both of us.

We have some friends who are also seeing him who came over to report that he wants to go to different training so he can man tanks and "blow stuff up." They laughed raucously over that one because chaplains are supposed to be non-combative.

I told them to look at it this way: right now he's in the business of saving souls, and now he wants to start sending them back for refurbishing.

Yeah, I'm a snot and I'm earning "heck and darnation" points for being snarky about a man of God.

Anyway, he hands out that 5 Love Languages book to couples who come in for help. I've heard tons about it but this is the first time I've actually read it and taken the real quiz. It's been very insightful and delightfully simple to read. It's interesting to know that, since one of Man's primary love languages is acts of service, when he thanks me for cooking or cleaning or watching kids he actually means it. Of course that also means means that, to my shame, I havn't been giving him enough credit. On the other hand, my primary love language is quality time followed closely by all the others in a tight gaggle... except for that poor little runt, gifts. Man actually confessed that when he was wife shopping that he looked for a woman who wasn't hugely keen on gifts, that rascal.

So, anyway, even though we don't feel a huge need to get counseling for our relationship since it's actually going swimmingly, we get some anyway and another self-help book.

I wonder if I could get him to switch to quick and easy cookbooks, since that'd help with stress some, I bet. Or maybe, instead of an hour of counseling for us, we could get an hour of babysitting and go on a date. Or take a nap.

No comments: