Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Getting Zen on laundry

So, dirty laundry. What is dirty laundry? I know, stupid question, but humor me for a moment.

Perspective A: Dirty laundry is what happens to clothes when they are worn and either soiled or no longer fresh. It is a transformation. Clothing is worn on the body. Dirty laundry lies crumpled in the laundry basket. Clean laundry lies crumpled in the clean clothes basket. Folded laundry rests on/in the laundry folding station (in my case, either my bed or the couch). Clothes are that which is stashed in drawers or closet. Each stage transforms a single object into something else that requires a different place to exist and be considered "put away."

Perspective B: Laundry is merely clothing that has to go through sort of a long process before getting put it back in its place. Its place remains the same regardless of its condition.

Same thing with dishes -- they have a home in the cupboard. Once they are gotten out for use they are simply on a journey back to whence they came.

Oh, come on, give me a break. I have to amuse myself somehow and this is what I have to work with. ;)

No comments: