Monday, November 12, 2007

I'm almost legally blind.

So I went back to the eye dr today to finalize my presciption. He held a prism in front of my normal glasses to see if my eyes would accept it and they did.

I asked him to tell me again what my vision was relative to 20/20. He said it's 20/2800. What?? He said that he could stand 750 feet behind me and see what I could see at 20 feet. What?!?

Legally blind is 20/200, but only if it can't be fixed with corrective lenses. I'm still within the correctable range so I won't be getting any disability any time soon.

For the love of Pete!! Hopefully I won't go blind before I die.

If you had to choose between being deaf or blind, which would you take?

2 comments:

jen said...

wow. I have better than 20/20...which, i don't know how that's possible, but that's what the eye doc said. I can't imagine not being able to see well.
As for choosing between blind and deaf...I guess being deaf might be easier to adapt but I would miss music and the sound of my husband's voice and all those little things. I would not want to be blind--all the things that you would have to change, all the art you wouldn't see, the landscape, the monuments, etc. So, I'd rather be deaf.

Kelly said...

Tee-hee. I see that you and my dh share a common gift! From time to time we talk about having surgery done on his eyes--not that he's likely to be able to ditch the glasses completely but they could correct him enough so that he could wear normal weight lenses.

Have your eyes changed a lot (prescription wise) lately? Mine changed slightly as Bub is being weaned and so the pressure is changing...but I got new glasses only because Bub broke my old ones.

As for me, I'd choose to be deaf hands down. It would be hard to lose the mobility of driving or the speed at which I can dress, read, or do a number of other things.