Monday, February 05, 2007

The stick bug effect

Has everyone seen A Bug's Life by Pixar? There's a part where the walking stick is holding up a (relatively) huge caterpillar and he says "I'm going to snap!" and starts to bend at the joints in painful ways. We discovered last week that this is what a lane of traffic looks like when about 30 people are avoiding an accident. If everyone slows down way too quickly on the highway, people alternate which direction they pull aside to avoid rear ending the next person in line. It was almost scary how organized and practiced this maneuver looked, like everyone had to do it very often. It was my daily dose of adrenaline and almost hypnotic. Everyone eventually straightened out, was grateful that it wasn't an accident, and then it was business as usual. Like it never happened. It was totally surreal.

Anyway, we had the opportunity to drop Man off on the base today and once again I discovered that if the enemy decided to storm a base, they'd quickly lose to our superior ingenuity when it comes to designing totally confusing base roads. There is only one gate I know how to get out of and you can't find a way back to it without traveling a mile up the only road that leads to it so you can bloody turn right. Princess asked with some consternation "mom, why is the car never straight?" "Honey, because the roads are never straight." "Why did they do that? Is the guy who built the road just crazy?"

Tag moment last night: Mom, I need to watch a movie because I have shoulders.

Me: [double take] What?

Tag: [coughs pathetically] Yep, see? I have shoulders. [coughs again, and puts his hand on his shoulder]

Just about the most random plug for sympathy I think I've ever encountered. We didn't watch a movie, FTR.

No comments: